Monday, January 14, 2008

Journalists' Pledge of Commitment

For Article: Denmark: Time for a Journalistic Oath?
Posted by Jane Abao 1/9/2008 8:13:39 PM

I have produced a Pledge of Commitment for my group of writers who profess to be Christians. I got a line from somewhere about pledging oneself to serve God first, last, and best in everything one is called upon to be or do. Then I selected some lines from Dan Gillmor's “Citizen Journalist Pledge.”

Yes, I picked the one on accuracy as in “I report and produce news explaining the facts as fairly, thoroughly, accurately and openly as I can.”

I noticed the way Dan Gillmor couched connections and I think this is crucial. Connections should also be hashed out.

In the Pledge, it says, “I may also provide reviews (such as a critique of a movie or book) and commentary with a point of view based on facts, but I will have no significant financial or otherwise direct connection (membership, affiliation, close relationship, etc.) with an interested party. If I do have such connections, I'll disclose them prominently, and my work may be labeled and/or categorized appropriately.”

No comments: